Maranatha Baptist Academy was founded in 1973 as a ministry of Maranatha Baptist Bible College through the vision of Dr. B. Myron Cedarholm. Maranatha Baptist Academy sought to meet a growing demand for Christian education for high school students, primarily the children of college faculty and staff children. Over the years, MBA has expanded to include many young people from Watertown and the surrounding areas.
By the late ’70s and early ’80s, the Academy was developing an identity of its own. The rooms on Old Main’s second floor became full-time Academy classrooms. Lockers were added, and the walls were painted in school colors and symbols. Special rooms were designated for Academy dorm students.
By the mid-’80s and into the ’90s, MBA had become fairly independent from the college in administration, operation, and daily activities. In 1996, MBA moved to its current location in the lower level of Old Main with five brand new classrooms and four office areas. The Academy currently utilizes classroom and learning spaces in every building on the MBU campus.
Since its founding, MBA has granted over 900 diplomas and has ministered to countless young people through rigorous academics, excellent fine arts programs, and competitive athletic teams. The success of MBA may be reflected in its graduates: missionaries, pastors, teachers, faithful parents, and successful Christians serving God faithfully in secular occupations and in the local church.
That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God – Colossians 1:10
Navy Blue and Gold
The responsibility for the training and education of children was given by the Lord to the parents. Parental responsibilities are detailed in numerous Biblical passages (Proverbs, Deuteronomy 6, Ephesians 6:1-4, and Colossians 2:8). The church is charged with the responsibility to teach sound doctrine (Ephesians 4:12-15) and to preserve the Truth (I Timothy 3:15). God established the home, church, and civil government to work together to train the child. Maranatha Baptist Academy will strive to see the following objectives accomplished:
- Lead the student to acknowledge Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior
- Complement the instruction received at home
- Teach the Bible as absolute truth and a guide in daily living
- Provide the student with traditional, Christ-centered education
- Provide fine arts and extracurricular activities
- Prepare the student for the challenges of college life
- Instruct young people to seek God’s direction for their lives
- The verbal, plenary inspiration of the Old and New Testaments
- God in three persons–Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
- The new birth in Christ alone
- Baptism by immersion for believers only
- Eternal security
- The Lord’s Supper as a memorial
- Six creation days of twenty-four hours each
- The bodily resurrection of Christ and His bodily ascension into heaven where He now intercedes for believers
- The pre-tribulation rapture for all believers
- The pre-millennial return and millennial reign of the Lord Jesus Christ
- The judgment
- The reality of heaven and hell
- The local church as God’s institution to carry out the Great Commission
- The literal Creation of the world by God and His design for mankind
- The obligation of every believer to live a holy life, in accordance with the Bible, and to witness to the lost of the saving power of Christ